Staying up-to-date with my home country
But my driver-license is valid until this year (2017), so that will have to be renewed. In the old days this was very easy, now it is a bit more difficult. Luckily the new driver license will be also valid for 10 years. How to get a new driver-license from my home country?
First step "Get Application Form" 🆗
Apply digitally for an application form, that will be send to my family in my home-country. My family will send to it to me in Thailand.
How to get that? Well the immigration office could give me an "Letter of Residence" but that would be in Thai. That would then have to be translated officially, stamped officially, etc. Too much work. Luckily my embassy can give me an "Letter of Residency". And luckily I can do that by mail. This will take about 10 days. What my embassy needs :
- Complete filled in application form
- Letter stating what document I need and why
- Contact information
- Copy of holder-page of passport + visum page
- 1.130 Thai baht (bloody expensive!)
- Document stating my address, like copy of rental contract or electric bill
- Envelop with my address and 50 Thai baht in stamps
Fill in the application form for extension of my driver license, pay 30 Euro, supply all documents and send it back to my home country. Application form has been received in my home country. They need :
- Application Form with pass-photo
- Copy of my passport
- Proof of address in Thailand
- Old driver-license.
Within 10 days after receiving my application they should send my new driver-license to my family in my home country. And as I will be there later this year I can then pick it up and also use it for driving there.