On the motorbike from Nan to Chiang Mai

Last week I made a wonderful motorbike trip from Nan to Chiang Mai.

My trip started as usually in the very early morning and from Nan I took route 1091 in direction of Phayao. This route goes thru beautiful mountains. I did pass Ban Luang and just before Chiang Muan there is a T-section where I took a right in direction of Pong.

I still keep following route 1091 for about 10km and then take a left to route 1251 in direction of Phayao. Keep on following route 1251 until you get again at a T-section with route 1021. Take a left in direction of Phayao.

I did skip Phayao this time, so at the intersection with route 1 I took a left for a few km and after a few km I took a right in direction of Chiang Mai via route 120. This route goes again thru beautiful mountains. Route 120 end with a T-section of route 118. Take a left in direction of Chiang Mai. The last 20km of route 118 gets busy and is unpleasant to ride.

View over Kwan Phayao
Stop along the way?
  • Along route 1091 a bit before Chiang Muan is a gasoline station with toilet.
  • Along route 1091 just after Chiang Muan is a coffee shop
  • Along route 1 just before you take a right to route 120 is an PTT gasoline station (on the other side)
  • Along route 120 is a coffee shop with a great view over the valley of Phayao
  • Along route 118 (a few km after you start riding route 118) is a PTT gasoline station
I did plan to stay 1 night in Chiang Mai and did stay at Mandala House (not recommended) in the old quarter. But the next day it was raining all day so I did stay a second day (in another hotel). So again I left very early and this time I took the fast route home. From Chiang Mai via route 11 to Lampang. From Lampang in direction of Phrae & Den Chai also via route 11. But I took a short-cut route to Phrae via route 1023 in direction of Long. This is a nice scenic route. From Phrae I took route 101 to Nan. 

Stops along the way?
  • All along the way are PTT gasoline stations with good toilets, 7/11, Amazon Coffee Shop, Food court. 
  • Along route 1023 is a lovely restaurant & coffee shop. I would say about 10km after you start riding route 1023. There are signs for it.
  • Along route 101 just before Rong Kwang is a PTT gasoline station
Book your hotels online with Agoda, the best online Hotel-booking website for Thailand. 

Google Streetview of the restaurant along route 1023
From Nan to Chiang mai
From Chiang Mai to Nan



Popular posts from this blog

The Rice Field Project Part 6 : Getting electricity

A small Mekong River trip in Laos and Thailand

On the motorbike to Lom Sak and Loei

Traveling a few days to Loei