Living in Nan

In the near future and beyond you will see more postings about Nan province in North Thailand. Yes, we moved from the heart of North-East Thailand to one of the last frontiers of Thailand in the remote province Nan. It was a more as 600km ride from the heart of North-East Thailand to a small village along the Nan River north of Nan city.

When I moved to Thailand medio 2000 I arrived with 1 suite-case, 1 big backpack and 1 office bag. It  took me almost 16 years but I accumulate much more as a lovely wife and a cat. We moved with 1 huge truck, our own truck full and me myself on my motorbike.

Why Nan? I love mountains, nature and cultural history. And it can all be found here in Nan province. Actually 16 years too late. I remember once a conversation with a Belgium friend in Sukhothai who said "If I would not have found my love here in Sukhothai I would be looking for living in Phrae or Nan". And that was even before I moved to Thailand, so about 17 or 18 years ago.

But here we are now and I love it! It is a small village, in Thailand nicknamed "Ban Nok" with about 200 houses. Nearest 7/11 is 12km away. Just as nearest ATM, bank, gasoline station. There are only 2 small Pap & Mom shops in the village. And our neighbours are a kind of farmers. Personally I think descents of hill-tribe people, who still go to the mountains in the very early morning to work.

Well I will write more about the lovely upcountry village live in Nan province.

Popular posts from this blog

The Rice Field Project Part 6 : Getting electricity

A small Mekong River trip in Laos and Thailand

On the motorbike to Lom Sak and Loei

Traveling a few days to Loei