Blast from the past .... Meeting South East Asia (part 2)

I think China Town (Bangkok)
My mother, born in Indonesia, returned back to Indonesia begin 1980's for the first time. And she thought it would be educational for me to see that part of the world, so in 1985 I traveled to SEA for 1 month together with a good friend. For both of us it was the first time outside Europe and it was a total culture shock. In all ways possible.

We did fly to Bangkok, in those days with Singapore Airlines with about 3 stops on the way. We did stay in Bangkok for 3 days with an American friend of my mother. Well that was the first culture shock. And after 3 days we were happy to leave dirty and noisy Bangkok. From Bangkok we did fly to Singapore where we had 1 day stop-over  before we would fly to Medan in Sumatra. Well Singapore was the next culture shock.

We travelled for 2 weeks in Sumatra and did go to Brastagi and Toba Lake. And as if we had not yet enough culture shock, Sumatra rocked the boat. So again after 2 weeks on Sumatra we were happy to see McDonald in Singapore again. After 3 days Singapore we did fly home again. My mother had been right, for me it felt like coming home. A feeling that I would later explain as "my Asian roots". For my friend it was a once and never again experience. For me it would take another 6 years before I would return to South East Asia. But that will be the next story.

View from Wat Arun (Bangkok)

Batak village (Sumatra)
Batak village (Sumatra)

Samorsir island (Lake Toba)

View from Hotel Carolina

Traditional dancing

Singapore

Singapore at night

The last rickshaw of Singapore?


Popular posts from this blog

Visiting the Prasat Hin Phanom Rung in Buriram

Making Coffee the old fashioned way in Nan

The Samakki Tham Religious Centre in Nakhon Thai

Getting lost in Chiang Mai